Author Topic: Scala playing an 8k video format  (Read 3002 times)

Offline JFrancis

• View Profile
Scala playing an 8k video format
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:25:20 AM »
I am working on a project where 14 Videowall each videowall in daizy chain linked to scala ic5 players, the client want to display an 8k video to the whole 14 daizy chains, does scala has the ability from a software point of view? And if it does what is the hardware needed to play an 8k video with no issues?

Offline Telecine

• Scala Partner
  • When there's Scala there's a way!
    • View Profile
    • Telecine
Re: Scala playing an 8k video format
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »
HI,

Scala will be able to create a 8K script, the fun part will be to find a Video Codec that will support 8K video!
MJPEG might work!

How are you planning to sync all those Scala players?

Good luck,

St├ęphane
Telecine.ca
Stephane Bastien
Technical Director
Telecine Multimedia
www.telecine.ca

Offline kiteloop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »
If you are daisy-chaining there is no need for 8k anyway since the the cables can not handle more than 4k at most in the chaining. Been a while since using this, prove me wrong :)

Usually daisy chaining is just taking its part and of the picture and scaling it down to quite small resolution if you are not using really fancy hardware scalers like vista spyders to handle the outputting instead.

I have done dual 6-output eyefinity computer (12 outputs @ 1200px, only used 720p though) with SLI-bridge. It worked but wasnt 100% stable due to the graphics drivers was quite buggy at with two graphics card and that many outputs.

Is it long viewing distance? Then use a real LED-screen instead, probably cheaper also.

Offline JFrancis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »
Well i tried to know the difference between the vista or the christie x20 comparing to Scala and couldn't catch the major difference because as long as the daizy chain is displaying 1920x1080 each how can vista display a better resolution ?. The content provider is asking for a system
That can handle 8k videos. The distance is 7 to 9 m , i am doing the installation by linking 16x matrix switcher, i will link 14 scala players to the first 14 inputs and each output from the matrix to a ddaizy chain, but the issue is that if i want to display one content to the while video wall with an 8k format.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:50:43 PM by JFrancis »

Offline JFrancis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
What about Scala runing a 2K video format? Would
This be available codecs that runs it
And a hardware specs that can do the job?

Offline lufo

• View Profile
    • M-Cube s.p.a.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »
you have to divide the 8K video in 14 parts, at 1920x1080 pixel each. This is the maximum resolution you can give to each videowall. The main problem is syncronize the 14 players. You can do this using the official scala toolkit for syncronization, or you can do a custom scripting solution, but syncing videos with scala is an hard job. It will never be as perfect as a dedicated solution (like Watchout for example) and it will be more evident if your videowalls have no gaps between.
M-Cube s.p.a.

Offline JFrancis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
Does anyone know if Cinemassive hardware products are compatible with SCALA to Run a 4K Video?