Author Topic: Satellite HD  (Read 4836 times)

Offline rook

• View Profile
Satellite HD
« on: April 24, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
Trying to setup a DirectTV HD signal through Scala in one frame and run ads on another frame. 

Any ideas?

Offline Norberto - JBTec Digital Signage

• JBTec Digital Signage - Scala VAR since 2003
    • View Profile
    • JBTec
Re: Satellite HD
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »
Rook;

What's exactly your problem?
Scala's TV Tuner EX + a video capture device (internal or external) should do the job.

Regards,
JBtec Digital Signage - <br />Scala VAR in Brazil since 2003<br />Digital Signage Solutions Provider

Offline Christopher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »
Of if you don't want to drop the money on the TV Tuner EX Module(s) (you'd need at least two licenses...one for Designer and the Player) and/or don't want to use a tuner in that specific Player...you can just set up a Windows Media Encoder (or Flash Media Encoder) machine with your DirecTV receiver hooked up to it (the Encoder will need a Tuner card, but that is all)...broadcast it from that machine and add a streaming video clip (or background) in your script and point it to the Encoder.

As much as you'd spend on the EX licenses, and yearly upkeep fees for maintenance (if you want upgrades), you can easily get a nice, dedicated machine for the Encoder and a TV Tuner card...all for much less to do the job.

The nice thing too about this setup is if you want to change the channels easily without having to modify the script...just change the channel on the DirecTV receiver and the stream on the Player will update to the new station in just a few seconds.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:37:52 PM by Christopher »

Offline rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
Problem we have been running into is the whole Encryption issue with HD.

We have been running analog TV great...no problems with any of the software we have had in the past.  As we have started piloting and tweaking Scala, a customer wanted to go high def and we couldn't get the signal into designer.

Christopher, that sounds exactly light what we need!  It even fixes the changing channels issue!

What kind of Tuner card do you recommend?  We purchased an ATI All-in-Wonder 3650HD with daughterboard for testing. 

Thanks for all your help!

Offline Christopher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »
That card should work okay - especially just for testing. I take it you are running the receiver directly from the HDMI port into the HDMI on the card, or possibly the COAX tuner input? Yep...that may be your issue with the encryption scheme. If you don't mind spending some money, you may also just look into getting an Osprey video capture card for the Encoder too...

What you can do/try is this: Instead of using the HDMI output on the receiver, use the S-Video or even Composite RCA (Yellow) line for the video - believe me, HD does go through just fine. In face, I even have a DirecTV HD receiver hooked up right now to an original Slingbox pumping out the HD signal just fine over S-Video - and I'll just go ahead and mention that the same receiver has its HDMI output is spitting out the signal to a 65" screen at the same time. Those receivers have some power to them.

Anyways...just use the S-Video/Composite adapter on the card to accept the video from the receiver, etc...and you should be fine. I doubt you will notice any quality difference, and if you do on the Player, that will depend more on your network capability, your Encoder machine, and what max settings you are broadcasting it without bogging down the system  (CPU mainly).

On your Encoder machine, you'll just have it encode the 'line input' from the Tuner card and ignore the 'tuner' functions entirely since your tuner controls will be done at the Receiver level with its onboard buttons or DirecTV remote.

In addition to some other things...I have several TV/DVD/VHS combo machines setup this way for some on-demand broadcasting (Windows Media Encoder) to Players and other network attached devices, as needed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:56:24 PM by Christopher »