Author Topic: Licensing of content manager  (Read 390 times)

Offline fnillerfnaller

• View Profile
Licensing of content manager
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
Hi,

If I buy content manager and host it on my own server - can I then sell Scala solutions to other companies and have them access my server as a shared service?

They will of cause need to buy a Scala Player license and a CAL for each PC. But is that all?

Thanks!

Offline cpmalone

• View Profile
Re: Licensing of content manager
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »
A standard Content Manager doesn't allow you to have more than one signage networks so no matter how you set it up all of the players will be visible to all of the users (not good for a shared service).

I believe Scala offers a special version of the Content Manager that allows for multiple independent Hosted networks on a single server, but I haven't seen it personally. I hear it's on the pricey side too.

After the CM you'll need a license for each player and a CAL license added to the server, and then the annual maintenance on top of that. You'll for sure want to talk to a Scala partner to make sure what you buy addresses your needs.

Offline fnillerfnaller

• View Profile
Re: Licensing of content manager
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I can limit the users in a way so they can only access the media, play list and scheduling part. Also the workgroup settings can make sure they only see their own media files.
So - I'm not to concerned with users that change settings that do not belong to them. I'm more concerned with what the licenses actually allow.

But I see your point. It would be great to separate users by a network ID. But I can do without if allowed.

I'll repeat my question - and ask if it is allowed to have clients from different companies accessing my content manager if i buy a CAL and Player license for them?