Author Topic: NEC LCD serial control.  (Read 5589 times)

Offline bunny

• View Profile
NEC LCD serial control.
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
I've just spent 3 days or so struggling to control the NEC MULTISYNC LCD 4215 through the serial port, and I thought I would share the fun with anyone actually contemplating buying one of these.

The monitor itself is a nice enough 1366x768. the speakers click loudly when switching audio inputs, turning off etc.
The serial protocol is an utter mess. Anyone hoping to do that within scala will need large quantities of medicinal brandy. Commands and responses are inconsistent. Some responses are missing checksums, others the checksums are just wrong. And then there is the minor issue of the manual saying response in the range "1..4" and the screen telling me "5 but you can go up to 7 if you want."

I even have email from NEC admitting there is a problem now!

In short, if you're considering them and want to control them remotely, buy a SHARP PN-series instead.

---------------------------- COM2  -- TV 1 -- " usb serial port"
Get Power: STANDBY
Get Model: LCD4215
Get Serial: 99001317NJ
Get Input: RGB1 DVI
Get Sensor:  37.0
Get Sensor:  42.0
----------------------------
END OF TRANSMISSION.

This program can also operate SONY, SHARP, SAMSUNG, VICTOR in the same way, giving us a uniform control interface.

Offline Robert pairman

• View Profile
Re: NEC LCD serial control.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »
I was having problems also but got nothing from the scripts i created, could you possibly email me the script you used would really appreciate it.