Author Topic: Video tearing on playback?  (Read 10326 times)

Offline octane

• View Profile
Video tearing on playback?
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »
Hello,

This has happened to me on two Media Players. They both have Nvida cards (88000GT & 9800GT). Using factory default settings in the Nvidia control panel evrything seems fine untill I play high movement video (wmv) and then appears the horizontal tearing effect some where randomly on the screen. I read somewhere that turning on the V-Sync in the Nvida control panel would fix this as supposedly the Media Engine was playing back to many frames for the screen to handle? (60hz screen). Anyways if I turn on the V-Sync it makes the tearing go away but then I get a dancing black bar across the screen which seems to appear randomly after a reboot. Everything goes good for awhile and then a reboot happens and wham-o the black bar appears.

I'm at a loss to why either of these problems is happening? I though it should be more plug and play.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :'(

Offline Telecine

• Scala Partner
  • When there's Scala there's a way!
    • View Profile
    • Telecine
Re: Video tearing on playback?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »
Octane,

Looks like you are running in windows mode and not fullscreen!
Make sure you enable in your Player configuration / Playback tab Display Configuration / One Channel (One Screen).
Your tearing problem should be gone.

St├ęphane
Stephane Bastien
Technical Director
Telecine Multimedia
www.telecine.ca

Offline octane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
Hi Stephane,

I failed to mention that this is a two channel setup. Both heads of the Nvidia card are being used. The interesting thing since my original post is that the tearing does not happen on the primamry channel of the cards only on the secondary channel. I put the same content (WMV) playing on both channels and the primary is fine and the secondary is tearing. I've tried a few different screens to rule out a single LCD brand and it is not the screens its the output coming from the NVidia cards.

Any ideas on why this would only happen on the secondary channel?

Rob

Offline bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
I've also seen this on ati cards (radeon 3450)

Offline octane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:43:29 AM »
Any solution to this problem?

Offline bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
It is a radeon right?
Go into the radeon control panel thing and set "wait for vertical refresh" to "ON unless application decides." The default is off.

For nVidia, I think its under "manage 3d settings" on the nvidia control panel. Look for "Vertical Sync" and override it.

This may also help on scrolly telops.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:21:48 PM by bunny »

Offline bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
Hi, tried playing with the vsync settings on a dev machine (that has a nvidia 9400m, the radeon 3450 is at a prod site). 2 screens independent, its playing 3 frames, the main frame is video (streaming tv), the right side frame is rotating static images, and the bottom frame is a static banner. When I force vsync on, the secondary monitor looks terrible. The video is tearing, and then when a new rotating image fades in, that starts tearing too. But when I force vsync off, it actually looks better. This functionality is the exact opposite of what I was expecting.

Both monitors are playing at native resolutions (secondary @ 1360x768, main @ 1650x1050) and 60 Hz, set as such in the scala player configuration.

On a side note, triple buffering also seemed to help a little as well, guess it just depends if your graphics card has enough memory to support it?

Offline bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:27:45 AM »
When I force vsync on, the secondary monitor looks terrible. The video is tearing, and then when a new rotating image fades in, that starts tearing too. But when I force vsync off, it actually looks better. This functionality is the exact opposite of what I was expecting.

On a side note, triple buffering also seemed to help a little as well, guess it just depends if your graphics card has enough memory to support it?

That is curious. Not something I have the equipment to reproduce either. (We have about 400 nvidia 8400gs deployed at 13x7, but only single screen and a couple of radeons on the big LEDs only.)

There's also an nvidia mode for "multple screen optimisation" and/or  spanning. I suggest you play with those.

Note that if the production system is a radeon, any screwing around with nvidia is purely academic.

triple buffering would help if scala used opengl, they don't so it won't.

Offline Telecine

• Scala Partner
  • When there's Scala there's a way!
    • View Profile
    • Telecine
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »
Bryan,

What version of Scala are you using?

St├ęphane
Stephane Bastien
Technical Director
Telecine Multimedia
www.telecine.ca

Offline bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
@Bunny, ah thanks for the info. Oh, and we have 2 different prod machines we use, one where the player has to be low-profile (the nvidia graphics) and one where we have enough room for a tower (the ati graphics) so would love a solution for both actually. Don't have any test machines for the tower currently, our last one got deployed as an encoder so no in house testing for that one at the moment.

@Stephane, we're running 4.0.13 on all of our prod machines, 4.0.13 and 5.0.8 on our testing ones. Haven't felt comfortable/seen the need to move over to 5.0.x yet for our prod machines, but still try to keep up with the newest releases in case some functionality does seem to help. Have played a little with the playback advanced settings on the 5.0.8 test box, but never found anything that improved the tearing issue. To be honest, not exactly crystal clear on how the settings interact though, so maybe someone else would know a fix.

Offline bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »
I'm all out of test gear. We use the 8400gs for deployment as it is low profile and fanless.
The lack of fan being the deciding factor here, not having one significantly extends the life of
the box (and how much dust it can eat before dying!) That and at ~ 35$ they are disposable.
[I also use XPE, so consistency of hardware is important.]

I'd recommend picking a graphics card maker and sticking with it.  Mixing them will just give you
headaches because the test gear doesn't match production etc.

It may be that your graphics card you have to set the vsync stuff independently on the outputs.

Offline JohnS

• Scala Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »
The original poster has the graphics card in the wrong display mode.

"DualView" != "Horiztonal Spanning".

In "DualView" the RAMDAC's of the two outputs are unlocked--there is no sync between the outputs so the VBLANK of the secondary will drift w/r to the primary output.

In Horizontal Spanning both displays are locked to the exact same video mode--and have a coordinated VSYNC.

With recent ATi RADEON products--HD4K and HD5K series--it is also now possible to use ATi product as well as the long standing functionality of the NV GPU's for two output Horizontal Spanning.  [the new trick for ATi is an option that is only exposed in their "Catalyst Control Center"--and that is to have the DRIVER force the D3D display refresh rate! [XPE users--you can replicate the settings by copying over the registry tree for the ATi driver settings from as master template system--so that you can avoid the 400MB of OS image overhead that is CCC+DotNET v.3.5sp1]

--JSS