Author Topic: Scala Player Crashes on Open Serial Port Command if cable not connected  (Read 101 times)

Offline Staffan

• View Profile
We are using a USB to Phono connector to use RS232 commands to turn our Samsung monitors on and off, change input and adjust the volume. It all works great except if we inadvertently send the command to any Player in which the cable is not connected to the serial port. In those cases, we get an error such as this...

USER:SerialEX::Opening Serial Port 'COM3:'.
Error 32.1: (win32) Cannot find the 'COM3:' serial port.

and the slide freezes and just sits there. I would be fine with the Player throwing an error if it then just ignored the script and moved on as it usually does. Is this a bug? Is there anyway around it? Has it been fixed in the most recent updates?

Thanks,
Staffan

Offline nicu

• View Profile
Re: Scala Player Crashes on Open Serial Port Command if cable not connected
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Hi,
Did you try use SerialLink from python?
See the doc from: file:///C:/Python27/Lib/site-packages/scalalink.html#SerialLink

Offline Staffan

• View Profile
Re: Scala Player Crashes on Open Serial Port Command if cable not connected
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
Interesting. Thank you. No, I created the script in Scala Designer. It works great so long as there is a COM port to communicate with. When there isn't or the COM port number is wrong, then it freezes up.  Seems to me that Scala should do what it normally does and report the error and then move on to the next slide.