Author Topic: Scala using 80-100% CPU and no GPU load  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Phil B

• View Profile
Scala using 80-100% CPU and no GPU load
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »
Here is the hardware that is being tested with Scala Player 5.
The player is using 80-100% CPU load and almost nothing on the GPU load.

One screen setup split into two players.

Hardware :
Mother board : Jetway NC84E-LF
Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200
CPU : Athlon II X2 235 @ 1.8ghz
1GB Ram

I ran a test on another player that is using the exact same hardware and I installed K-lite codec packs and I ran Media Player Classic which forces MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 or any other HD  content to run directly on the GPU and my tests showed that I had only 10% load on my CPU and approx. 50% load on the GPU when playing HD content with this software. This is telling me my Scala player is either not properly recognizing the Radeon HD4200 chipset, or there is another configuration I must use so Scala can use my resources properly.
Also, Windows Media player 9 is performing the same way Scala is, all on the CPU and almost nothing on the GPU… So it’s either a Codec issue or a software configuration issue.

Now I have dome some reading here and wanted to know if MMOS.INI is still used because I ran some tests and didn't see any improvement.

Thanks

Offline JohnS

• Scala Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Scala using 80-100% CPU and no GPU load
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
#1)  Installation of K-Lite on a pre-configured Scala5 Player image voids any and all assistance by Scala technical support for such an infected system.

The customer assumes all responsibility for the stability and function of the resulting system.

Why do we take this position?  Simple:  Installation and use of the K-Lite CODEC pack is a crime in the U.S.A., and Japan--K-Lite is in large part a collection of stolen property.  [...and a dangerous one from a stability viewpoint:  These CODEC-packs also have yet another impact beyond that of piracy, viruses, and unstable software--they introduce multiple, conflicting, Direct Show filters.  This causes direct video clip playback problems for the Scala5 software.]

#2)  Scala does not perform GPU decode of any media stream.  The 80% CPU utilization for higher bit-rate MPEG-2, VC-1,  and H.264 video streams is perfectly normal and expected.   ATi graphics hardware also has design issues which result in higher-than-NVIDIA system CPU utilization in dual output display modes.  [again--this is perfectly normal and understood behavior for ATi--which is why we generally suggest the use of NIVIDIA hardware for high-performance Dual-Output scenarios]

#3)  Why does Scala5 not utilize GPU decode of videos?

a)  It does not work well on its own/it is not a stable--GPU decode is highly impacted by improperly formed MPEG data structures and by corrupted bit streams.  The primary result is that the system will crash when the video driver crashes.  As a general rule it is not mature enough for our customer deployments!

b)  Scala5 Player is a "DirectX3D" real time media display engine.   GPU-video decode takes away from D3D functionality--and where it does not--many parts perform poorly in switching from D3D to Video Decode and back--the time lost in the context switch is not acceptable.

So--If the system was a pre-configured Scala5 Player you need to have the system re-imaged by the vendor or to purchase a "Recovery USB-Key"--as once software such as these  various "K-Lite/Gordian-Knot./DOOM9 CODEC Packs" have been introduced onto a system image it is time-cost-prohibitive to remove all the damage that they have introduced to the system.

Regards,

--JSS

Offline Phil B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Like I said, the "player" here is just the hardware listed above with the OS. I installed this on another computer not running Scala.
I mentioned also that I installed the K-lite codec packs on another player ( computer ) to see how XP is showing me CPU usage.
Also, this in not just k-lite.. it is the same with any other free codec pack on the net which is available for windows XP, either Winamp or even WMP10 or 11 via pack updates.

If I refer myself to Scala Hardware recommendations.. Dual-Core Athlon with ATi RS780E IGP ( HD 3200 ) is considered a mid range player setup.

We are testing a HD 4200 setup which is a higher performer than a HD 3200.

If I understand your explanation... you are saying this kind of setup is not suitable for a Single screen split player?

Offline JohnS

• Scala Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
As per:

http://www.scala.com/news/media-resources/player-designer-hardware-requirements/at_download/file

The Jetway NC84E-LF is indeed a "Mid-Range" Player.

And since  I am the Engineer at Scala who developed the WES2009 image for this hardware--and have worked with the customers who have deployed dozens/hundreds of such "Windows Embedded" Scala5 Player units--I have have some small familiarity with this PCBA and its capabilities.

Since you are not using our image--I have no idea w/r to the "correctness" of the Windows OS and Device driver installation on your example system.

XP-Home is not an idea OS selection.  O.K., I guess, for one/two machine deployments--but not so limited by Microsoft to be a "false economy" when one has to support any significant number of systems.  [esp. vs. the license cost for WES2009 in volume]

In any case--I hope that you at least using Dual-Bank memory!

Best Regards,

--JSS